These restaurant-style quick and easy dinner rolls are the perfect side dish for pasta, chilli or any other family meal for that matter! Quick and super easy to make, these 20 minute dinner rolls are no knead and only use 5 ingredients. If you’re looking for a rustic, hearty roll, this is the recipe for you.
Psst, if you LOVE Italian style dinner rolls, just add the ‘optional’ ingredients listed in the materials section to the mix!
The great thing? There’s no need to wait for these beauties to rise either. Oh, and don’t worry if you’ve run out yeast – these restaurant-style rolls contain no yeast!
Important Note Before You Start Baking
These rolls are chewy and light on the inside with a crusty exterior, just so you know what to expect. Because they’re baked in a muffin tin, they do come out looking a little cupcake like, but don’t let their appearance fool you, they taste divine!
Oh, and because these dinner rolls are no yeast, you’ll want to use the freshest of ingredients to help them ‘rise’. If your flour and baking powder are old (especially if you’re using all-purpose flour), your rolls may turn out flat. Leavening agents are good for about 6 months on a shelf.
Even if your ingredients are ‘fresh’ from the store, sometimes grocers shelve them for a while before selling. If in doubt, add a 1/2 teaspoon of extra baking powder to the recipe to help them rise.
Grandma’s 20 Minute Yeastless Dinner Rolls
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Bake Time: 18-20 Minutes
Ingredients & Materials Needed
This mixture can make up to 6 dinner rolls (depending on size of the muffin tin you use). Adjust according for smaller or larger portions.
– 1 Cup of Flour (we used all-purpose, although readers have tried self-raising too. We don’t recommend bread or wholegrain flour)
– 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
– 1/2 Teaspoons of Salt
– 1/2 Cup of Milk (Room Temperature)
– 2 Tablespoons of Mayonnaise (you can also use the fast food packet kind too)
– 1 Tablespoon of Oil (for greasing muffin tin)
– Mixing Bowl
– Muffin Tin
– 1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder (optional)
– 1 Teaspoon of Crushed Rosemary (optional)
– 1 Teaspoon of Italian Seasoning (optional)
Baking Notes Specific to this Recipe
– Most recipes call for room temperature ingredients (like this one!), and no, we’re not doing it to be mean and add another step to your baking routine. Baking is a science! Here’s why…
When at room temperature, ingredients such as butter, eggs and milk form an emulsion which traps air. This leads to fluffier, soft bread with lots of airy holes.
Cold ingredients, on the other hand, lead to a dense mixture, which leads to a dense, flat roll. No-one wants a dense flat roll!
– If your dinner rolls are browning excessively, remove them from the oven and make an aluminium foil ‘tent’ to shield them, and return them to the oven.
How to Make Grandma’s Delicious Dinner Rolls
1. Gather all of the required ingredients.
2. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, milk and mayonnaise (and herbs if you’re making the Italian seasoned rolls) together into a mixing bowl.
3. Using a whisk, smooth the mixture out, making sure to get rid of any flour lumps.
4. With your oil (either from a bottle or a spray-can), grease the muffin tin.
5. Pour the smooth mixture into the muffin tins, making sure to add equal amounts to each ‘muffin’ holder.
6. Preheat the oven for 3 minutes at 375 F (190 C).
7. Place the dinner rolls in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, again at 375 F (190 C), until golden brown.
You Might Like:
Know another baker who could benefit from this post? We would be SO happy if you shared it! This helps us to provide more (free!) tips, tricks and baking recipes. Thank you!