There’s no worse feeling than finding a delicious bread recipe only to realize you don’t have the fancy ingredients required to make it. Or worse, it takes forever to prep, rise and bake. This is our solution to this timeless problem; the easiest 4 ingredient no yeast bread recipe that is so delicious you’ll wonder why you haven’t tried it sooner!
Woah, hang on, no yeast? Won’t that make the bread taste weird? Not at all! There’s a common misconception that less ingredients and no yeast means awful tasting bread, but in fact, it’s just the opposite.
So if you’re facing a bread shortage or are running low on common bread ingredients, this Navajo Flatbread recipe is perfect for you.
The Easiest 4 Ingredient No Yeast Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Bake Time: 30 Minutes
Navajo Flatbread Ingredients & Equipment
This recipe makes 6 flatbreads. Adjust accordingly for smaller or larger portions.
– 2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
– 1 1/4 Cups of Water (Room Temperature)
– 1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
– 1 Teaspoon of Salt
– 2 Teaspoons of Oil (Canola, Vegetable, or Shortening work best)
– Additional 1-2 Tablespoons of Oil (for frying)
– Mixing Bowl
– Frying Pan or Cast Iron Skillet
– Rolling Pin
– Cling Film (optional)
Baking Tips Specific To This Recipe
– For the best tasting bread, use the freshest ingredients.
– Most recipes call for room temperature ingredients (like this one!), and no, we’re not doing it to be mean and add another step to your baking routine. Baking is a science! Here’s why…
When at room temperature, ingredients such as butter, eggs and milk form an emulsion which traps air. This leads to fluffier, soft bread with lots of airy holes.
Cold ingredients, on the other hand, lead to a dense mixture, which leads to a dense, flat loaf. No-one wants a dense flat loaf!
– Measure your ingredients correctly. Use a dry measuring cup/scales to measure dry ingredients. Use a glass or plastic liquid measuring cup for liquids.
– If your flatbreads are browning excessively, or starting to burn around the edges, turn down the heat and allow the oil to cool naturally before cooking more.
Navajo Flatbread Instructions
1. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, 2 Teaspoons of oil and half of the water into the mixing bowl.
2. Combine all of the ingredients together using a whisk and continue to add the rest of the water until the mixture has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
3. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl, and on a flat surface knead it for 4-5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle a dash (no more!) of flour onto the surface.
4. Rest the dough in a slightly greased bowl for 30-60 minutes. This gives it time to rise and allows for a super fluffy texture. Add a small wrap of cling film over the bowl to speed up the process.
5. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll out each piece until it is as thin as a tortilla on a floured surface.
6. Pre-heat the cast iron skillet or frying pan to 350 F (175 C) and add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Wait until the oil is hot (it should not be smoking though).
7. Add the dough to the greased skillet and cook until golden brown spots appear on one side. Simply flip to cook the other side. Again, watching for golden brown spots to appear. Repeat for each flat bread.
And there you have it, a simple no yeast bread recipe that tastes as delicious as it looks! These flat breads can be made ahead of time or stored frozen in a ziplock bag for later use. Perfect sharing breads for family gatherings or lazy Sundays baking.
You Might Also Like: The Most Delicious Kneadless, Yeastless Bread Recipe You’ll Ever Try!
Know another baker who would love this recipe? You would make our DAY if you shared it! This helps us to provide more (free!) tips, hacks and recipes. Thank you!